Unspoken (Lynburn Legacy Series #1)

Unspoken - Sarah Rees Brennan

Unspoken

Finally a YA story not told from first person POV! I have learnt to be grateful for little reliefs like this when it comes to YA literature these days. And then Unspoken went on to surprise me by being a very entertaining read with a cast of great, really lovable characters. There were some flaws that dampened my enthusiasm a little (but not much) and prevented me from giving this the full five-star rating.

My main issues are with the whole sorcerer aspect of the plot, the ending, and the ever impending love triangle of Doom, but the narrative is really character-driven and I couldn’t help but fall in love with every single one of them (with the exception of Ash, who is mostly meh but still gets a few nice lines in). Every single one of them seems to have a secret or two of their own and I was constantly wondering about the underlying motivations for their actions. Quite riveting!

There’s great dialogue between Kami (my hero!), Angela (my other hero!), Jared, Ash, Holly (well, not so much), Rusty (another one of my favourites). The characterisation of Kami’s parents and her two little brothers is wonderful. I have to admit that I didn’t care much for Kami’s mother once it became apparent hat her past actions seriously affected Kami’s life and she still tried to keep them secret from her daughter. Apart from the secrets, the family dynamic is just as adorable as that between Kami andher friends.

The villains are sinister and one is kept in suspense until the very end as to who the real villains and what their motive are. I’m still not sure that I have quite figured it out since the protagonists’ loyalties seem to constantly change and rearrange themselves.

The first real-life meeting between Kami and Jared is electrifying. Even if not totally surprising, the scene is very well done. Ash and Jared causing a diversion so that Kami can sneak into the lawyer’s office. Pure comic genius!

Yes, I enjoyed this book quite a lot, but I’m also terribly worried about all the things that might go wrong with the next one in the series. It might get terribly downhill from here. I hope that Brennan will pull it off and show me that all my doubts and worries are completely unjustified, because I really grew quite fond of all the characters, especially the female ones, and I don’t want to start disliking them any time soon. I hope to see more of Angela and Rusty in Book 2 since they seem to have an as yet undisclosed guardian role to fulfil. They are kick-ass and super-protective of Kami but never smothering. Kami is the glue that holds together the group of teenagers and if she fails to remain as charming and quirky everything might come apart rather quickly. Of course, there will be tension, but please, please, please don’t let a stupid love triangle be the reason for it.