Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland - Bill Willingham

Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland - Bill Willingham, Craig Hamilton, Jim Fern

Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland

Meh, I don’t know, I don’t know… Bigby is usually one of my favourite characters, but in this story that so very much centres around him, he came across a bit bland and boring. Neither story nor artwork quite worked for me. Probably because I couldn’t relate AT ALL to Bigby’s war buddy’s decision to hook up with the Nazi scientist. Even if they were the only two of their kind and even if animal attraction had taken over, I found his explanations and reasoning tedious. Well, it’s probably a mirror-to-society thing. Bigots and hypocrites, one and all! I really didn’t care for any of the characters, neither the villains or the heroes or the “regular” people. They lacked depth and substance, in my opinion. I wouldn’t have minded the whole damn village being burnt to the ground – as long as it gets Bigby back to his family and Fables duties.

And I don’t understand what kind of atmosphere the artwork was supposed to create either. Some 1930s flair? Didn’t work for me at all. Some 1960s perfect-world-from-the-outside scenario? Nah. Even the fights were rendered less harrowing by this rose-coloured blood and intestines. But there was some fighting at least! And the cover looked so very promising! Well, never judge a ...

I don’t graciously accept any fictionalisation of anything including Nazis for fear that history might be distorted and the very real atrocities committed by the Nazis be made light of. It’s probably because I couldn’t detach myself from this rame of mind that I didn’t appreciate this issue.