The Fall (The Strain Trilogy) - Chuck Hogan, Guillermo Del Toro

The Fall  - Guillermo del Toro, Chuck Hogan

The Fall

For some reason, it took me forever to finish this book. Weirdly enough, Horror seems to make me very sleepy.

The combination of scientists, exterminators, and opposing gangbangers establishing a truce to go vampire hunting should have kept me on my toes at all times. I was never even bored. The storytelling is interspersed with snippets from Fet’s blog, Eph’s diary, and anecdotes from Setrakian’s past, which really make for swift reading. Maybe I could blame the middle-book syndrome, which made it clear from the onset that the conflict could not be solved in it, that my attention wavered and I was carried over into the land of dreams more than once. Or maybe I was just exhausted and tired from this thing called life.

I had a hard time suspending my disbelief near the end, though, because the reaction to nuclear catastrophe seemed a bit too level-headed and not evoking the amount of terror it warrants in my opinion. Yes, an infestation of an evil, all-powerful vampire plague is horrific, but nuclear power plants blowing up right around the corner seems far more frightening to me.

I wish we would have learned more about what the book, Occido Lumen reveals, but I guess that is something we have to watch the characters figure out themselves in the third instalment.

I also assume that a few new players will be added to the game in book 3. I’m especially curious to find out what will happen to Zack and what role he’s going to play in the final showdown – if there will be a final showdown and if he will survive that long. I fear the worst but secretly hope for a happy family reunion.