Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Unearthly - Cynthia Hand

Unearthly

So, a book about angels, or semi- or quarter-angels, or whatever. I was prepared to be seriously underwhelmed. I expected this to be silly, and not in a good way silly. But lo! I was pleasantly surprised.

Reading about Clara’s life in a new town, the friendships she makes, and the tough choices she has to make was entertaining and compelling. Most of the time she seems preoccupied to figure out and define her destiny, but I was never annoyed as with most of YA self-centered cry babies.

I’m a bit ambivalent about the ending, not sure that I like it, but it certainly leaves the door open to more interesting developments and comprehensive, greater implications. So, bring it – I hope the next book won’t be too heavy on the love triangle.

The one aspect I didn’t like at all was the introduction of the evil, dark (maybe fallen?) angel, which was a bit too reminiscent of evil Twilight vampires for me. Then again, it’s probably me, not you, Unearthly. I tend to see horrible allusions to the abominable series in every other YA novel. I’m possibly cursed and possessed that way. But Clara is no Bella Swann and that’s a blessing.