Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire - Suzanne  Collins

Catching Fire

I liked this one better than Hunger Games, even though Bella’s Katniss’ love triangle problems tended to get on my nerves. A lot.

There’s a lot of potential for the development of solidarity through the development of alliances here, if contestants in the Hunger Games were able to overrule their survival instinct in sacrifice for the “greater good”. The pre-dominant question was about who makes the decisions and to what end. We also glimpse suspicions that there might be traces of corruption within a glorified society. I found it hard to believe that all the events were orchestrated by the Capitol as a punishment for Katniss’ insubordination at the end of Hunger Games, even though she tried to make it look like a foolish act of love. I do, however, get the power such a symbol might have for the oppressed masses. The gullible fools in the Capitol might have bought the foolish love act, but for the people living in the district she provided a symbol to rally their forces to. I had a number of issues with the book, among them the introduction of the myth around District 13 by the two fugitives with the mockingjay symbol Katniss meets outside the fence of District 12. This seemed a bit forced. I don’t want to smudge an otherwise fun read.