The Sheriff of Yrnameer - Michael Rubens So, what does it say on the jacket again?“In the spirit of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, The Sheriff of Yrnameer is a sci-fi comedy at its best – mordant, raucously funny, and a thrilling page turner” Whoa, that is setting the bar pretty high, innit? I hope I won’t be disappointed.So, what have we got? A hapless space rogue, a multi-tentacled intergalactic bounty hunter on his heels, a conscious computer/robot that loves people, some do-gooders in need of help, a community of hippy-esque escapists also in need of assistance (preferably non-violent), a group of mean bandits, an assortment of non-human characters to colour the scene, and humans turned cannibal by a chip implant. Do I care for any of them? Not really. The only time I was intrigued was to see whether Peter the ‘puter would be able to transfer his consciousness into two bots rather than facing complete destructionI only found my way into the book after about 160 pages, when the crew finally arrived on Yrnameer. I had actually put it aside several times in favour of other books to read before that. I don’t think it’s a bad book though. There are quite a few interesting ideas that would have worked nicely if the author expanded on them. If this is the first installment in a series, it might serve to set the tone and the scene. However, I’m not sure that I’ll pick up another book centered around Cole. I usually claim that I’m not particularly interested in setting and worldbuilding, but that I refer good dialogue and fast action instead. There isn’t much of that to go around here. The advertising blurb feels like a lie. Or maybe I’m completely misunderstanding the meaning of “in the spirit of.” Does that actually mean “watered down approach” or “failed attempt.” That might sound a bit harsh, but my expectations were pretty high and the book just wasn’t able to deliver. New Year’s resolution: Stay clear off publishing houses’ blubs aimed at selling books. I probably would have liked The Sheriff of Yrnameer much better if it hadn’t been for my unfulfilled expectations.